As we all know, the hot summer temperatures bring loads of fresh berries to your local supermarket or fresh produce retailer. When berries become abundant and less expensive, it's the perfect time to enjoy them regularly. Strawberries, Raspberries, Blueberries, Blackberries and on and on, these fruits are each packed with various antioxidants and nutrients and they are low in calories which not only make them a great stand alone snack but a great enhancing component to other simple snacks.
I've shared 10 simple ways to use more berries and really take advantage of those summer savings. :)
1. Try using them in your favourite cereal. Sliced Strawberries, Blueberries, and Raspberries are great additions to your breakfast cereal and add lots of extra nutrients and flavour!
2. In your Smoothies! Virtually every berry available tastes delicious in your favourite yogurt based smoothies.
3. Pancake and Waffle Batters. Slipping some fresh berries into your pancakes really freshens them up and adds another delicious layer of flavour.
4. A great way to use up a large amount of berries is to make a very simple berry crumble for dessert. A crunchy oat topping and fresh berries baked to perfection, what's better than that?
5. A very simple bowl of Greek yogurt loves fresh berries!
6. Cook down berries in a small pot with some sugar and use those delicious, sweet, warm berries on top of some Ice Cream for dessert. Not much satisfies quite like melty, vanilla ice cream and sugary sweet berries.
7. Strawberries particularly are a great addition to a lettuce salad. Spinach, Goat's cheese, sliced Strawberries, and your favourite vinaigrette make for a hearty and nutritious salad.
8. Make your own Jam / Preserve. I am actually going to be trying this myself soon. Remember, the internet is your friend here, look online and you'll find thousands of berry preserve recipes you can take advantage of at home!
9. Summer cocktails love fresh berries. Blended or Frozen berry cocktails are not only refreshing in the hot summer months but they so flavourful and pretty too.
Here's a link to some pretty delicious looking ideas! - http://www.driscolls.com/recipes/ideas-inspirations/summer-berry-cocktails
10. Make your own frozen yogurt pops! You can find Popsicle shells just about anywhere. Blend the fruit and yogurt and transfer to the Popsicle. Freeze and enjoy!. So simple and so delicious!
Can you think of any other great ideas? Feel free to leave a comment :)
Jonathan - Happy Veg
Dedicated Foodie. Proud Vegetarian. Recipe Creator. Friend to all Animals.